CONKERR CANCER FOUNDATION – A non-profit organization that unites people who want to make a difference and to make pillowcases for children ages 2-20 who are going through cancer treatments in local hospitals.
Instructions on how to make a Pillowcase:
• Use cheery fabrics for kids, teens and young adults – colorful , bright and as fun as possible • Remember many patients are preteen or teen boys and girls, we always need pillowcases appropriate to teenagers or young adults • 100% Cotton only or Flannel! Bright Colors, Prints or Children’s or young teen themes. Supplies: 1. 3/4 yard of fabric for pillowcase body CUT TO: 26 1/2″ x 40 1/2 2. 1/3 yard of fabric for border of pillowcase CUT TO: 10 1/2″ x 40 1/2Sewing Instructions ORIGINAL METHOD:
1. Cut the body of the case 26 1/2″ x 40 1/2 and the border 10 1/2″ x 40 1/2″.
2. Fold the border in half lengthwise, with the wrong sides together and press.
3. Lay the base piece of the pillowcase right side up on the table. Match the folded border to the top length of the base. Sew these three edge pieces together with a ½ inch seam allowance. Serge or use zig zag stitch to finish the seam.
4. Place the right sides of the pillowcase together. Stitch down the side and across the bottom using the ½ inch seam allowance. Be sure to start at the opening for the pillowcase edge—to ensure that these pieces match up correctly. Serge or use a zig zag stitch to finish seam.
5. Trim all threads and turn right side out.
6. Thoroughly wash pillowcases after they are completed using non-fragranced soap (Draft or Ivory Snow) and do not use fabric softener. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS TYPE OF SOAP, PLEASE MAKE A NOTE TO PUT WITH THE PILLOWCASES SO THAT WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE TO WASH THEM.
7. Pillowcases need to be ironed before they are put into the zip lock baggies (quart sized).
8. Fold so that the border shows only on one side, the body on the other.
- Hold the pillowcase with the border across the top, the body hanging down.
- Fold in half length-wise then fold in half again length-wise.
- Fold the length of the pillowcase in half again in the middle the other way. This will make a nice size for a quart sized baggie! Also it will sow both the front of the pillowcase and the back showing the border on one side and the body of the pillowcase on the other.
9. Pillowcases must be dropped off at a DROP OFF LOCATION, mailed to the coordinator or give a call to the coordinator to coordinate a pick up if local. Do not deliver directly to the hospitals.
• CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE OUT TO CONKERR CANCERLA and mailed to Conkerr Cancer Los Angeles 17350 E Temple Street # 349, La Puente, Ca 91744 • TO MAKE A CREDIT CARD GIFT YOU CAN GO ONLINE TO WWW. CONKERRCANCER.ORG AND CLICK ON DONATE BUTTON – BE SURE TO PUT IN THE LOS ANGELES CHAPTER TO RECEIVE THE DONATION. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
HOW TO MAKE A DONATION:
FABRIC DONATIONS OR PILLOWCASE DONATIONS CAN BE DROPPED OFF AT ANY OF OUR DROP OFF LOCATIONS OR CONTACT COORDINATOR FOR PICK UP OR MAILING INSTRUCTIONS. FABRICS MUST BE 100% COTTON FABRICS OR FLANNEL --- CHILDREN, TEENS OR YOUNG ADULT STYLE PRINTS ARE NEEDED.
QUART SIZED BAGGIES FOR DELIVERIES - ZIPLOC STYLE (99CENTS ONLY STORE HAS BOXES OF THESE -- LOOK FOR THE ONES WITH THE MOST BAGGIES IN THEM TO GET THE MOST OF YOUR MONEY)
GALLON SIZED BAGGIES FOR PILLOWCASE KITS or FLANNEL PILLOWCASES -ZIPLOC STYLE (99CENTS ONLY STORE HAS BOXES OF THESE -- LOOK FOR THE ONES WITH THE MOST BAGGIES IN THEM TO GET THE MOST OF YOUR MONEY)
NEW CONE OR SPOOL THREAD -- BLACK OR WHITE
NOTIONS AND SUPPLIES - SCISSORS, SEWING PINS, ROTARY CUTTERS WITH BLADES, CUTTING MATS, IRONS, PLASTIC STORAGE BOXES,
NON SKID - FOOT PEDAL HOLDERS ( needed -- DO NOT HAVE)
GIFT CARDS --
TO GROCERY OR DISCOUNT STORES ( SUCH AS ALBRETSONS OR TARGET/WALMART) TO PURCHASE LAUNDRY SOAP, FABRIC SOFTENERS, BAGGIES
TO FABRIC SHOPS OR ONLINE FABRIC STORES - SUCH AS NANCY'S NOTIONS, JOANNS, OR A LOCAL SHOP TO PURCHASE FABRIC, SCISSORS, BLADES FOR THE CUTTERS, THREAD -SPOOL AND CONE, CUTTING BOARDS, ETC.
ANY/ALL DONATIONS CAN BE DROPPED OFF AT ANY OF OUR DROP OFF LOCATIONS OR CONTACT COORDINATOR FOR PICK UP OR MAILING INSTRUCTIONS AT 626 715 0617.
VOLUNTEERS AND OTHER SUPPORT NEEDED:
NEED HELP WASHING, IRONING AND PACKAGING COMPLETED PILLOWCASES FOR DELIVERY
NEED HELP WITH CUTTING FABRIC INTO PILLOWCASE KITS.
NEED HELP MAKING PILLOWCASES -- EITHER AT HOME OR ONE OF OUR SEWING EVENTS (SEE UPCOMING EVENTS LIST UNDER THE HOME TAB)
ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR MAKING PILLOWCASES
ConKerr Cancer Los Angeles takes great pride in providing bright, fun-themed pillowcases, which are well constructed for children hospitalized with cancer or other life threatening illnesses or injuries. Please remember, the pillowcases are for children ages 2 to 20. Here are some important guidelines, requirements and tips to ensure the children receive pillowcases that not only bring them pleasure, but also hold up in the laundry.
ALL FABRIC MUST BE NEW
CUT Body = 26½ x 40½ inches CUT Border = 10½ x 40½ inches Please use fun, colorful, novelty prints for the pillowcase BODY, and solids or small fun prints, for the BORDER - dots and stripes acceptable. Keep it fun! BORDER TIP: When using directional fabric, sew border to selvedge edge. NO plain bodies, please. Imagine a child’s disappointment when he or she opens the bag and finds a plain pillowcase, and the child in the next bed has a colorful, fun pillowcase. Please FINISH all raw edges. Use a serger or overlock machine, zigzag stitching or the French Seam method to completely finish the raw edges. The border can be attached using the burrito, hotdog or sausage method to attach it in addition to the regular sewing instructions given on the Pillowcase instructions. DO NOT use adult-looking fabrics. The children select their own pillowcases, and they rarely choose florals, checks or stripes. They all want the fun print.
Teen boys like : collegiate, ANY TEAM Prints -Basketball, Football, Soccer, Hockey as well as sports or racing cars, billiards, bowling, NASCAR, soccer, skateboarding, skiing, football, baseball, dirt bikes, motorcycles, Army, Navy, Marines, zombies, monsters, werewolfs, and Animals prints (older style - real life) and more.
Teen girls like: makeup, high heels, purses, ballerinas, dancers, ballerinas, princesses, perfumes, shoes, Miley Cyrus, Hannah Montana, popular stars, sports themes, peace signs, love and hearts symbols, and so much more ....etc. .
For younger children: Animals, dogs/puppies, cats/kittens, horses, musical, beach/boats/sea themes, teddy bears, and pirates are always popular. Please use 100% cotton and flannel only! NEVER use the following fabrics
•Home decorator fabrics •Polar fleece •Curtain sheers •Silk or satin fabric •Rip-stop nylon •Sunbrella or outdoor canvas-like fabric •Dotted Swiss - too bumpy for sensitive skin •Corduroy - too bumpy for sensitive skin •Glitter or sparkly fabric-too bumpy for sensitive skin •Skull and crossbones or weapons prints – happy fun prints only •Do not add Trims, paints, ribbons, buttons, etc.
• PRE-WASH all fabric to ensure all shrinkage happens before we sew the pillowcases • Medical facilities only have STANDARD SIZE PILLOWS-21 x 31 inches (approx. size) • Pillowcase seam allowances are one-half inch. Finish with serger or zigzag to prevent fraying. • To sew the border onto the base without a seam showing, you can use the “Hot Dog” or “Burrito” pillowcase-making method. • Using a French Seam makes a beautiful pillowcase in which the seams are hidden. It’s easy and fun to do. • A third accent strip between the body and border gives a nice finished look to the pillowcases. • REMOVE ALL PINS. Pins have been found in finished pillowcases. • Hospital policy requires that NO messages of a religious nature should be included with your pillowcase. • We have inserts to put into the bags which states:
Giving a sick child a reason to smile - one case at a time
After making the pillowcase, please rewash with non-fragrance detergent such as Ivory Snow/ Dreft or any fragrance free soap and fabric softener ( fragrance free as well) . Do not use regular FABRIC SOFTENER. Once it is washed, please iron and package according to fold tips below. Remember to wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer. We want to limit the contact with the pillowcase as most of the children have severely compromised immune systems. Iron, Fold, and Please… fold the finished pillowcase with the “fun” fabric showing. If it doesn’t show we must take it out, refold, and re-bag before delivery. This is very time consuming.
• Fold so the border shows on one side, the body on the other. • Hold the pillowcase with the border across the top, the body hanging down. • Fold in half length-wise - fold in half again length-wise. • Fold the length of the pillowcase in half... and in half again. • This should fit in a QUARTZ size bag. DO NOT use gallon or sandwich size bags. Good quality generic quart size bags are available at Target, K-mart, Wal-Mart, 99Cent stores and other Dollar Stores. They cost much less and do not have the company logo on the front to distract from the pillowcase pattern. When dropping off at DROP OFF SITE: Include a note with your name or group, telephone number or email address, and the number of pillowcases when you deliver them to one of our drop locations listed on our website www.conkerrcancerla.org or call me to schedule a pick up at 626 715 0617. If you are part of a group, please share this information with your sewing people. We hope you will continue to help and support ConKerr Cancer–Los Angeles to provide colorful pillowcases to critically ill children in our local medical facilities to create smiles, and to brighten their days as they battle for their lives. This is an ongoing project – we will continue to bring pillowcases to hospitals as long as there are children that need them. On behalf of The Children, Their Families, and the Medical Staff.... THANK YOU